Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Getting Teacher Certified in Texas

What a journey it has been! We moved to Texas in February (my husband in January) and I started fresh looking for a new job. I updated my resume, I applied online to different districts nearby where I lived and I scoured the internet researching schools, test scores, and the recertification process in the state of Texas. I was certified in MN with two licenses. The first license was K-6 Elementary Education and the second was K-12 World Languages and Cultures: Spanish. Minnesota does not have a specific licensure program in their universities (at least not the one that I attended) for bilingual education, mainly because there isn't a need for bilingual certified teachers there. At least there isn't a need anywhere near to that of Texas. 

Through researching the TEA website and calling around, I realized that I would only be approved to take the Generalist EC-6 exam and PPR initially. I took those two tests with a small amount of review and studying the days beforehand and passed both on the first try! yay! Now I am certified as a Generalist but guess what....I was hired as a first grade BILINGUAL teacher! I am so excited about it but nervous about the two tests that I will be taking to be Bilingual certified. Since all the Dallas testing sites are filled, I will have to be traveling to Huntsville, TX to take the BTLPT! Just so you know that's like two hours away.  I've been studying the competencies of both tests and I am confident in my skills, I am just nervous that they will throw me a curveball I'm not ready for! Eek! 


Wish me luck as I study this next month! 

Happy Summer!

Betsy

No comments:

Post a Comment